Delhi to Agra by car is now three hours via the new Yamuna expressway when measured from Ashram. 165 km of the new expressway takes two hours. Reaching the expressway from ashram takes 40 min. Reaching Taj Mahal from the exit point of the expressway in other takes another 20 min or so.
In comparison using Mathura Road takes between 4 to 5 hours. However the toll charges are higher on the expressway viz a viz Mathura Road. An additional Rs. 520. The toll charges shall be levied at three different points with 16 gates on each side. This is because the administration has divided the expressway in three patches-Greater Noida to Aligarh, Aligarh to Mathura and Mathura to Agra.
As a goodwill gesture the Uttar Pradesh government has permitted toll-free travel till 15th August 2012-India's Independence Day
Giving credence to the myth and folklore of the jinx that whichever Chief Minister visits Noida or Greater Noida, he or she loses the next election, the current chief minister Akhilesh Yadav opted to inaugurate this prestigious expressway via videoconferencing from Lucknow.
1. It is a six lane concrete highway with provision to expand it to 8 lanes
2. Six interchanges, 70 underpasses, 41 minor bridges, 75 cart track underpasses and 182 culverts.
3. Cost is Rs. 12,000 crores or about 2 1/2 billion dollars
4. 100 km/h speed limit
5. The project was initiated by the previous Chief Minister Mayawati but the credit has been appropriated by the current chief minister
6. Farmers near Mathura demand easier and toll-free access. At this point the service lanes for the movement of local traffic are yet to be built
7. The Formula One racing circuit is near the start of the expressway in Greater Noida
8. Eventually integrated townships shall be developed at five locations along the expressway
9. Projection is of 20 to 40,000 vehicles using the expressway everyday
10. Apart from tourism the current government is interested in industrial and urban development along the expressway
11. A 100 bed hospital on five acres of land shall be built by JP group, the company that has built this expressway and has a 36 years of rights to collect toll without sharing any revenue with the government
12. Medical help and facilities like stretchers, medicines, vans et cetera are available on call
13. Air ambulance for emergencies and tieups with two major hospitals
14. Facilities such as restaurants, public conveniences and ATMs are coming soon
15. Food courts shall be opened in near future
16. Speed limit for two wheelers is 60 km/h and for heavy vehicles as well
17. 20% discount to frequent travellers (19 journeys in a month atleast)
18. The road has guard rails and barbed fencing on the sides to keep the cattle and villagers away from jumping suddenly in front of the moving vehicles
19. On the route you shall see lots of village huts and farmlands
20. Surveillance cameras at 31 locations are installed. Cell phone use, drinking and overtaking from wrong side shall fetch a fine if the cameras record these violations. Violations shall be communicated to the toll plazas and police posts.
21. The company claims this to be intelligent integrated transportation system controlled by underground fibre optic network.
22. 164 emergency telephone boxes and display boards
23. Green embankments and wide-open spaces on either side of the road will set you in a picnic mood but picnicking is only permitted at the designated areas
Excellent driver and Sightseeing with only one down
Travel Period: 12/9/11
Overall value: Above Average
Review by: Jonathan
Dislikes our laptop was stolen during the trip it was Disappointing. Likes: The driver the taj mahal